To install phpIM, perform these steps:
- In your web browser, go to
The SourceForge.net: Project Info - PHPIM page appears.
- In the list of topics, click Files.
The SourceForge.net: Project FileList window appears.
- In the list of files for the PHPIM package, click the most recent version
of phpim-yyyymmdd-x.zip, where yyyy is the year, mm is the two-digit
month, dd is the two-digit date, and x is the release number.
Note that clicking yyyymmdd-x (e.g., 20040710-2) requests the
release notes; clicking phpim-yyyymmdd-x.zip (e.g.,
phpim-20040710-2.zip) requests the installation executable.
The Select a Mirror for File /phpim/phpim-yyyymmdd-x.zip window
- From the list of mirror sites, click the download icon in the right column for
the mirror site closest to you geographically.
The Downloading File: /phpim/phpim-yyyymmdd-x.zip window appears.
Shortly thereafter, the File Download dialog box appears.
- In the File Download dialog box, click Save.
The Save As dialog box appears.
- Browse to the directory in which you want to save the compressed file
(this is not the directory into which the program will install; you might
choose c:/temp, for instance).
- Click Save.
The download completes.
- On your computer desktop, click Start | Run.
The Run dialog box appears.
- Click Browse.
The Browse dialog box appears.
- From the Files of type drop-down list box, select All Files.
- Browse to the directory where you saved the phpim-yyyymmdd-x.zip
- Double-click phpim-yyyymmdd-x.zip.
The path and file name appear in the Run dialog box.
- Click OK.
The phpim-yyyymmdd-x.zip window appears.
- In the Folder Tasks section, click Extract all files.
Note that these instructions are for Microsoft Windows XP. If you are running
a previous version of Windows, your results may differ slightly; simply
extract the files using the utility on your computer.
The Extraction Wizard opens to the Welcome to the Compressed (zipped)
Folders Extraction Wizard dialog box.
- Click Next.
The Extraction Wizard continues with the Select a Destination dialog
If you can extract the files directly to your web server, do so. Otherwise,
proceed as follows to extract the files locally then copy them to your web
- If you do not want the files to extract to the directory shown in the
Files will be extracted to this directory text box, click Browse
and browse to the desired directory.
- If the directory shown in the Files will be extracted to this directory
text box requires a password, click Password and enter the password
information as necessary.
- Click Next.
The Extraction Wizard completes with the Extraction Complete dialog
- Deselect the Show extracted files check box.
- Click Finish.
- Open your FTP program.
- Transfer the entire newly extracted phpim directory to your web
- If you have shell access, change to the phpim directory then type sh prepare.sh and press Enter. Otherwise,
proceed with the remaining steps to configure the files manually.
- On your web server, use CHMOD to set the phpim directory's
permissions to 0777 (giving owner, group, and public read, write, and execute
- In your web browser, open your web page/phpim/index.php.
- In the Username text box, type the user name you want to use for
your instant messaging.
- Click Submit.
The PHPIM window appears.
- On your web server, set the phpim directory's permissions to 0755
(giving owner read, write, and execute permissions, and group and public read
and execute permissions).
Note that if your web server is a Microsoft Windows server, you will need to
create a subdirectory of the phpim directory called db
and set its owner to the web server's user.